Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Real Italian Cinema?

On Tuesday night, we had a field trip for my Italian class to an Italian movie called, "Benvenuti al Sud." We were all ready to just go and watch the movie, and were a little surprised (and scared) when our teacher told us we had to interview actual Italians at the movie theater before it started. Luckily, almost everyone else in my class is actually from Italy and could help me out because I realized for the first time I have a ridiculous American accent and some Italians just stared at me when I tried to ask them questions...oops. It was pretty cool to talk to actual non-English speaking Italians though! The next challenge was watching the movie, which was entirely in Italian with no subtitles. I was expecting to not understand anything, especially after my teacher told me specifically to just "try to see the pictures," but I ended up understanding it all, and actually enjoying the movie! It was a comedy about a man from Milan who moves to Naples, and his experiences adapting to "Southern Italy," which is an entirely different world from Northern Italy... I didn't completely understand all the jokes, but I got some of them! And I also learned that not only do Italian cinemas have assigned seating (weird), but they also have intermission where vendors walk through the aisles and sell food, just like at baseball games. That was pretty amusing. Overall, it was a pretty cool experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment